Hi! I’m Dan 👋
I am a highly motivated volunteer community manager & full-time customer support guru, looking to move from the typical IT office, to a more community and social focused role in the gaming community.
I spend the majority of my free time volunteering as a community manager for online gaming communities, running fun events and tournaments and striving to assist every gamer I come across in giving them answers to their problems and giving them a bigger voice to let their feedback (good and bad) be heard - predominantly on Reddit, Twitter and Discord.
So if you think there’s a space for me and don’t mind the odd awful joke - I’d love to hear from you!
My work so far...
PUBG Reddit (r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS)https://www.reddit.com/r/pubattlegrounds
Volunteer Community Manager & Community Games Host
2018 - Present
The largest community for PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
At PUBG Reddit, after being a member of the community I was invited to be part of the moderation team. This mostly involves ensuring rules are abided to by our 100k+ members and assisting with any issues and conflicts between members.
Working closely with the rest of the team, I help plan ways to assist the community in getting it’s voice across to the games developers. Coming up with topics of discussion on Reddit and Twitter and providing ways for feedback to be shared with PUBG Corp directly, whilst also ensuring the conversation is kept constructive.
This includes keeping an eye on the behaviour of members, ensuring that any toxicity and insulting behaviour is dealt with in a swift and fair matter.
I am also in charge of hosting our Community Custom Games where we run a leaderboard and fun tournaments with fun and specific modes made up by ourselves and the players. All games are streamed live on Twitch and I, along with others, cast these games as they are being played out to provide a fun experience to the players and the community watching.
I also work closely with PUBG Corp staff with any requirements they may have with the subreddit, working together on fun community events and giveaways as well as providing any feedback and bugs in the game itself for PUBG Corp to investigate and improve on.
More recently, becoming part of their new Community Reporting team to provide accurate evidence of game rule breakers (such as cheaters) directly to PUBG Corp so these can be dealt with quickly to ensure these players are not ruining the game for others.
As part of this, I also manage the PUBG Reddit Twitter account, ensuring relevant content is shared and posted in relation to the game and providing talking points to drive the conversation further.
- Discord Community Management
- Subreddit Community Management
- Social Media Manager
- PUBG Games Host & Observer
- PUBG Twitch Caster
- Self-taught Discord Bot development in Python
Service Desk Agent
November 2019 - present
APT Solutions is a specialist supplier of membership software and services to a wide range of clients predominantly in the Not for profit sector. We specialise in systems for Trade Unions, Professional Institutions, Sporting Bodies and Charities ranging from 1,000 to 1.5 million members.
At APT Solutions I am one of three Service Desk Agents supporting customers with their Membership software. From small taxi firms to huge unions. Working three different shift patterns, including one night shift, ensuring our support is covered for our UK, AUS and NZ customers.
My role also includes utilising investigation skills to determine if something went wrong, what happened, how it happened and what could be done to stop it happening - including writing customer facing incident reports that are honest and open.
EGX & epicLANhttps://www.egx.net/egx/2019/watch-and-learn
Watch & Learn PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG) Professional
17th October - 20th October 2019
UK's premier video games show.
During the four days at EGX 2019, I was enlisted by epicLAN to teach in their Watch & Learn area. Teaching new players about PUBG, explaining and showing how then can improve and giving console players a taste of the PC side. This was during all four days of EGX 2019 for sessions booked for 30 minutes at a time.
- Assisted in setting up & packing down of multiple EGX stages managed by epicLAN
- Managed my dedicated Watch & Learn station
- Grown new skills in teaching
- Advertising on personal Social Media
Chicken4Charity - SpecialEffecthttps://www.egx.net/egx/2019/watch-and-learn
26th July 2019
SpecialEffect's charity PUBG tournament.
SpecialEffect’s Chicken4Charity 2019 event saw 20 teams from the UK Games industry, battle it out in PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG) to win some prizes but most importantly to raise money for SpecialEffect. The whole event raised over £14,000 for the charity.
I volunteered my time to set up and observe each game during this event, using the games built in camera controls to capture the action as it unfolded so that the game could be watched and enjoyed on streaming platforms Steam, Twitch and Facebook.
Director & VLE Technical Consultant
2017 - 2019
PriorsVLE Ltd was formed by VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) professionals with over 15 years combined experience in Supporting, Managing and Hosting VLEs, from school and college sites to those of businesses large and small.
At PriorsVLE we provide Technical Support services and Hosting services around Moodle, including development services for bespoke plugins and managing upgrades and migrations for Moodle sites owned by the customer or third parties.
- Liaising with clients to accurately capture their requirements and ensure targets are met
- Creating and managing internal systems to ensure our processes are streamlined and adhere to LEAN principles
- Providing 1st line customer support to clients’ users.
- Invoice management to ensure accurate and timely payments from all clients
- Utilising a variety of social media to advertise our business offerings, while also educating and informing around Moodle, including news and tips.
2012 - 2018
We provide end-to-end learning solutions that enable UK and European organisations, of all types and sizes, to create engaging learning experiences to help them stay current in their industry and achieve significant learning ROI.
At HowToMoodle my role was to ensure new and existing clients had the best customer service experience possible. I managed migrations and upgrades of customers’ sites, to ensure they were kept up to date. I worked hard to build and maintain good relationships with customers, ensuring they always had all the required information to make the processes as smooth as possible and completed to mutually agreed timescales.
- Setup, Upgraded and Migrated clients moving to the Moodle/Totara platform.
- Designed and implemented automation of most manual tasks performed for site setups.
- Answered support calls via our support desk system - Helpspot.
- Supported clients in troubleshooting problems with the platform, advising and assisting them with their Moodle/Totara journey.
- Provided on-call service to ensure hosting servers are running smoothly 24/7 and keeping clients informed when issues arise with the service.
- Provided Administrator Support and Technical Server Support to clients Moodle sites.
- Wrote accurate and comprehensive documentation to support and track technical changes with the hosting platform.
- Providing Technical Server Support to clients whose services are hosted in-house or by a third-party provider.
- Debugged Moodle/Totara application issues in PHP and MySQL, providing a fix or raising as an issue against the Moodle/Totara Tracker.
- Managed all internal hosting servers running CentOS (5, 6 and 7), Apache, PHP, MySQL/MariaDB & DirectAdmin Control Panel.
- Managed external client servers running CentOS, Ubuntu, Gentoo and Windows Server and using HTTPD, Apache2 and Nginx.
- Monitoring each customer site and servers using Icinga (based on Nagios).
- Managed local GIT repositories for Moodle/Totara, custom plugins and themes.
- QA Testing developed plugins and raising issues using JIRA.
- Performing company rollout to Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller.
- Management of all company Windows desktops and laptops, including troubleshooting, patches, software & hardware upgrades, asset management.
Volunteer Presenter / Producer
2012 - 2014
Newport's Local Community Radio
At NovaFM I hosted two local radio shows. One specialising in new, upcoming and rarely heard artists/bands, the other specialising in Dance, Trance and UK Hardcore music. I produced both shows every week. I wrote and produced Friday and Saturday’s News-reading for each hour. Assisted with Outside Broadcasts (Newfest 2012 & 2013. The Pheztival 2012 & 2013)
Capita ITS (ex-i2Q Education Limited (A Synetrix Company))
Junior Technical Support
2008 - 2012
I started at i2Q, which later in life became Capita ITS.
At Capita, my main role involved supporting customers, mostly School and College clients, with their Moodle platform and with any issues or queries that may arise during term.
Performing yearly school rollovers take place in time for term start within their custom Moodle environment.
I also worked with developers, undertaking Quality Assurance testing of Capita’s new learning platform - OpenHive - during its development, using automated scripting and writing test plans.